Tabula

A Section of Peutinger’s Tabula


Only two specimens of Roman cartography have come down to us, viz. parts of a plan of Rome, of the time of the emperor 637 Septimius Severus (A.D. 193-211), now  in the Museo Capitolino, and an itinerarium scriptum, or road map of the world, compressed within a strip 745 mm. in length and 34 mm. broad. Of its character the reduced copy of one of its 12 sections  conveys an idea. The map, apparently of the 3rd century, was copied by a monk at Colmar, in 1265, who fortunately contented himself with adding a few scriptural names, and having been acquired by the learned Conrad Peutinger of Augsburg it became known as Tabula peutingeriana.

Random image

Download Photo

Tag Cloud

  • 1 photos are tagged with Artillery
  • 1 photos are tagged with Maps
  • 2 photos are tagged with Sight
  • 1 photos are tagged with Sound

Album Tree

Popular tags

  • 1 photos are tagged with Artillery
  • 1 photos are tagged with Maps
  • 2 photos are tagged with Sight
  • 1 photos are tagged with Sound