Fresnel’s Revolving Apparatus at Cordouan Lighthouse.

 The lens belt condensed and parallelized the light rays in the vertical plane only, while the annular lens does so in every plane. The first revolving light constructed from Fresnel’s designs was erected at the Cordouan lighthouse in 1823. It consisted of 8 panels of annular lenses placed round the lamp at a focal distance of 920 mm. To utilize the light, which would otherwise escape above the lenses, Fresnel introduced a series of 8 plain silvered mirrors, on which the light was thrown by a system of lenses. At a subsequent period mirrors were also placed in the lower part of the optic. The apparatus was revolved by clockwork. This optic embodied the first combination of dioptric and catoptric elements in one design.

Random image

Download Photo

Tag Cloud

  • 1 photos are tagged with Artillery
  • 1 photos are tagged with Maps
  • 2 photos are tagged with Sight
  • 1 photos are tagged with Sound

Album Tree

Popular tags

  • 1 photos are tagged with Artillery
  • 1 photos are tagged with Maps
  • 2 photos are tagged with Sight
  • 1 photos are tagged with Sound